“Last year we served 26,000 meals to kids and that’s not including snacks…next year 44,000 meals.”
Today we talk with an amazing woman. Hilary Boynton is not only a mother feeding 6 kids, she’s not only the author of the GAPS cookbook Heal Your Gut, but as you just heard she’s a powerhouse who went into her kid’s school and when offered the keys to the kitchen, said yes and transformed the menu serving them nutrient dense foods like organ meats, raw butter and kefir, bone broth and beet kvass.
Listen in to hear:
- How, as a mum, she took over her children’s school food, transforming what was served into real, nutrient dense food.
- The differences she’s witnessed to the children, the parents and the school community.
- How she’s taken what she’s learnt and is teaching others to be lunch leaders globally.
- How she’s stayed sane through all of this; mothering 6 children whilst also working from 5am to feed a school.
Hilary has vision, enthusiasm and such a go-do-it attitude yet she’s also incredibly practical, forgiving and loving. You won’t fail to be inspired.
Come be part of our community and help support the continued work of the podcast!
Our podcast is sponsored by our patrons and listeners who are also supported by the extra content that we share (think exclusive podcasts, live chats, cook ups and recipes) over at our Patreon community!
From $5 a month (or equivalent in your currency) you’ll be helping us with the costs of recording, editing and putting this work out into the world. And you’ll get to be part of our community on a deeper level.
The Run Down:
“If you start them early and they eat this way through 12th grade there is no way you’re not changing the trajectory of their health”
0:00 How Hilary regularly does breakfast
9:00 Feeding her own children
14:20 How Hilary got involved with food at her children’s school and how she transformed it
“I reached out to everyone who could help me”
22:40 The differences Hilary has seen
28:30 How Hilary’s sharing this by training lunch leaders
“It’s not just a cooking class, it’s a life changer!”
32:00 Hilary’s move to Austin, Texas
“80-90% of our food costs go back into our local food system”
40:30 Hilary’s dream
45:50 Top-down/bottom-up system change
51:00 How do we want to live?
1:03:30 How Hilary looks after herself personally
If you like us and use Apple Podcasts, we’d love it if you left a review!
- Open the Apple Podcast app
- Find Ancestral Kitchen Podcast in your library (you can search for it)
- Scroll down to ‘ratings and reviews’
- Click on ‘write a review’, choose how many wonderful stars you would like to give us (!), title your review and then, in the lower box type a review of up to 300 words.
Thank you. We really appreciate you taking the time to support us!
Hilary has gifted us two recipes from her book The Heal Your Gut cookbook to share with our patrons! Patrons can log on to our Treasure Trove to download the recipes. If you’d like to become a patron, get extra goodies and support the podcast, click here.
“I’ve been through 0-18 and every stage is different”
“There is no more precious resource than our children!”
Thank you for listening – we’d love to continue the conversation.
Come find us on Instagram:
Andrea is at Farm and Hearth
Alison is at Ancestral Kitchen
The podcast is at Ancestral Kitchen Podcast
Original Music, Episode Mixing and Post-Production by Robert Michael Kay